Nine in 10 Tory seats back a People’s Vote
- Credit: PA
Polling has found that nine in ten Conservative seats back a People's Vote to break the deadlock in parliament.
The analysis, commissioned by Best for Britain and Hope Not Hate, comes as Conservative MPs and members launch the 'Right to Vote' campaign seeking to give voters a final say on the terms of Britain's departure from the EU.
The findings reveal that 290 of the 317 seats held by a Conservative MP contain a majority of voters who want a second referendum. Of these seats, 166 seats have over 55% support for a vote on the deal and 44 have over 60% support.
Greg Hands' constituency of Chelsea and Fulham saw the highest levels of support with 73% in support, while in the prime minister's constituency of Maidenhead 59.5% support a public vote to break the impasse.
In arch Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg's seat there is also a majority for a People's Vote - 52.4% support a second referendum, while 61.4% of people in Boris Johnson's Uxbridge constituency back a vote on the deal.
You may also want to watch:
Right to Vote campaigner and Best for Britain supporter Dr Phillip Lee MP said people have been 'underestimating' Conservative support for a People's Vote.
He said: 'I know from private conversations at parliament that backing among my colleagues for a referendum is there and is growing fast. We aim to accelerate that with today's launch of the Conservative-led Right to Vote campaign.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 6 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 9 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
'Conservative politicians need to pay attention to today's findings. Across all Conservative held parliamentary seats, 55.8% of voters in Conservative seats want a referendum if parliament is deadlocked over Brexit, as it continues to be.'
Best for Britain CEO Eloise Todd added: 'We welcome the launch of Right to Vote and applaud the MPs that are speaking out for what's best for their constituents. Britain is uniting around the need for the question of our future in Europe to be put to the people.
'There is a real danger that Westminster will offer a fudge, cobbled together in backrooms. But people across the country want to have the final say on Brexit and MPs must now deliver that.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.