Government to use ‘shock and awe’ media blitz to force public into no-deal preparations
- Credit: PA
The government is planning a military-style 'shock and awe' media campaign to prepare the public for a no-deal Brexit at the end of this year.
The communications drive, which will cost taxpayers £4.5 million, begins in July and will continue through to May 2022 in four planned phases, POLITICO reports.
According to a government strategic communications dossier, campaigners will use behavioural science tactics to stun and spur businesses and the public into action.
You may also want to watch:
Downing Street have hired media agency MullenLowe London to carry out the blitz, which will be rolled out on private communcation channels due to public distrust in government advertising.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 8 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
The first 'burst' of information in July will focus on 'nudging' people to prepare for the 'consequences and opportunities' of a no-deal Brexit. This will later develop into a full-scale 'shock and awe' campaign in September and November.
This will change to messages on 'loss avoidance' during December and January and to 'new opportunities' promotions from February 2021 onwards.
The media offensive will be drawn up by the same group who were behind the 'Get Ready for Brexit' campaign which attempted to prepare businesses for a hard Exit last year.
The initiative comes following dire government polling in October showing that 61% of UK businesses had not yet accessed information on preparing for a no-deal. In fact, up to 74% of adults made no effort at all and planned not to.
'The Transition Campaign is the most important government campaign this year,' the document, which was found on a government procurement database, read.
'With nine months to go, now is the time to ensure that clarity and certainty is communicated wherever possible about what will happen at the end of the year. Therefore we need to frontload preparation wherever possible, and ensure that any early misunderstanding is ironed out and appropriate actions are taken.'
The campaign is part of a five-point plan by the government to prepare the country for a clean break from EU institutions by December 31.
One of those objectives is to convince Brussels officials that the UK was prepared to leave the transition period without a deal. Others focused on minimising short-term disruption and implementing new protocols and procedures.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.