All the best tweets about that Tory coffee-related conference drama
- Credit: Channel 4
The internet has gone a little bit wild for an understated moment of high drama involving the prime minister and a disposable coffee cup.
Perhaps it's because we're tragically sick of Brexit or perhaps it's because party political conferences are deadly dull, but a quiet spat between two aides has had political Twitter riveted.
In footage captured by Channel 4, an aide is seen handing Boris Johnson a coffee - but it is swiftly removed by a second aide who lays down the law.
"No disposable coffee cups," she says, in quiet but firm reproach to her colleague.
The Tories have committed to removing all non-recyclable coffee cups by 2023.
You may also want to watch:
Clearly this aide has decided that regardless of how many groping accusations and unlawful prorogations Johnson throws her way, here is an area where she can exert iron control.
Buzzfeed UK news editor Alan White immediately picked up on it as "the most captivating 15 seconds of political drama I've seen in years".
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 5 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
The undertone of spad rivalry and petty image management has also brought about comparisons to the career maneuvrings in hit political comedy The Thick of It.
"Those two assistants clearly hate each other to the core," said Twitter user Pete Aldridge.
Guardian columnist Gaby Hinsliff said: "It's the belief that being caught with a non-eco coffee cup is somehow the height of PM's problems right now that gets you."
Twitter user 'General Boles' had his own theory, related to earlier reports of a 'misunderstanding' between MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown and door staff.
"Rob Oxley got Geoffrey Clifton-Brown to lamp a delegate to distract from the coffee cup incident," alleged Boles.
WATCH: Tory Brexiteer MP involved in 'misunderstanding' at party conferenceAnd there were many, many other takes as the newly ridiculous fodder entered the meme mill.
Finest of all, comedy Twitter account HappyToast gave us the gif we all deserve by replacing the cup with a bright pink giant inflatable penis.
"Hopefully Esther McVey will approve of this as I put my 3D skills to use and did it with it on a computer," observed HappyToast.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.