“Now is *perfect* time to discuss our security”.
This week's attack on Manchester has rocked us all to the core. On the front page of The New European, cartoonist Gary Barker captures the deep sense of loss perfectly - 22 pink balloons escaping the grasp of a little girl.
Campaigning in the General Election is resuming and the security of our nation will feature in the debate even more strongly than before.
Some have criticised Jeremy Corbyn for bringing this issue to the fore - it is 'bad timing' they say.
I cannot think of better timing, myself.
You may also want to watch:
What happened in Manchester, and in Westminster before, is a clear demonstration that we are vulnerable and the protection of our values, our way of life, and of our children should be scrutinised with total transparency and honesty.
- 1 Boris Johnson’s latest offence shouldn’t be overlooked
- 2 Our PM demonstrates why Latin lessons plan is a bad idea
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 5 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 6 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 7 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 10 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
It's not political point-scoring. It's politics doing what politics should - representing and protecting the citizens of this nation.
In deep respect of the 22, their families and all those injured and otherwise affected by the actions of that sad pathetic no-mark loser (Donald Trump is, for once, perfectly articulate in this regard) we wish you all a peaceful weekend.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.