Parliament could be suspended for five months as part of government’s coronavirus plan

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves 10 Downing Street. (Photo by Alberto Pezzali/NurPhoto vi

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves 10 Downing Street. (Photo by Alberto Pezzali/NurPhoto via Getty Images) - Credit: NurPhoto via Getty Images

Parliament could be suspended until the end of September as part of proposals for tackling the coronavirus.

The Times reports that as part of plans for parliament, the House of Commons and Lords could be stopped from returning to the chambers after the Easter recess.

It would mean MPs rising on March 31st and not returning until the end of September in the "longest summer recess we have known", a parliamentary source told the newspaper.

Parliament bosses also want to limit the number of people who can enter the estate before a shutdown, claiming that politicians are essentially "super-spreaders".

"We've got 650 people who spend half the week spread across the country meeting their constituents and the other half rubbing up against one another in Westminster," a source claimed. "It's 650 super-spreaders."


Have your say

Send your letters for publication to The New European by emailing letters@theneweuropean.co.uk and pick up an edition each Thursday for more comment and analysis. Find your nearest stockist here or subscribe to a print or digital edition for just £13. You can also join our readers' Facebook group to keep the discussion and debate going with thousands of fellow pro-Europeans.


MORE: Will globalisation survive coronavirus?

MORE: How a chapter in the past can help us tackle the coronavirus outbreak


You may also want to watch:


Jacob Rees-Mogg has said there are no plans to close the Houses of Parliament.

The Commons leader told MPs: "There are no plans to close the House down."

Most Read

He said: "The public will expect parliament to sit and get on with its job. Parliament has proven itself to be very resilient over the years.

"There is no medical reason on current advice to think that shutting parliament would be necessary or helpful."

Rees-Mogg added: "Our approach will be guided by the best scientific evidence and medical advice and we'll take all necessary measure to deal with this outbreak.

"I can assure the house I'm engaging with the parliamentary authorities to emphasise how important it is that any decisions are taken in line with the advice of the chief medical officer, and a cross-parliamentary group of senior managers is meeting daily to plan the response to Covid-19 and ensure business continuity with input from Her Majesty's government."

Last year an attempt to suspend parliament in September to help force through a no-deal Brexit was deemed "unlawful" by Supreme Court judges.

Jacob Rees-Mogg was accused of misleading the Queen for the reasons he gave for asking for the prorogation.

Become a Supporter

The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.

Become a supporter
Comments powered by Disqus