UKIP search for replacement for Dick Braine - despite reports party is close to insolvency
- Credit: AFP via Getty Images
UKIP are looking for a new leader to replace Dick Braine after he quits hours before the general election.
The party is searching for its eight leader in four years, with disgraced former Tory MP Neil Hamilton expected to run alongside Ben Walker - the current interim chairman of the party.
Also throwing her hat into the ring is Pat Mountain, the party's interim leader, who was responsible for a car crash interview on Sky News ahead of the party's manifesto launch.
In the cringe worthy interview she was unable to name a single seat her party was contending, could not substantiate her claims about immigration, and accidentally called her party racist.
The race to become leader comes as former leader Gerard Batten says UKIP is on the brink of insolvency.
In a tweet he said: "Very sad news. UKIP is now on the brink of insolvency. This has happened because of the NEC driving away members & revenue."
You may also want to watch:
Batten stepped down as leader in June 2019 following the European elections but later decided he wanted to stand again in the subsequent contest.
The NEC [National Executive Committee] ruled against this, leading to Richard Braine becoming the new leader, who claimed the BBC and Daily Mail were conspiring with the EU against the party.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 8 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 9 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.