Patrick Stewart is paying for Remain protesters’ trip to the People’s Vote march
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Actor Patrick Stewart has paid £1,000 towards coach trips for anti-Brexit marchers to join the People's Vote march today.
The X-Men and Star Trek star has covered the transport cost so that people from Yorkshire can travel to London to join what is expected to be the biggest anti-Brexit demonstration so far.
ALASTAIR CAMPBELL: There are no excuses not to be at the biggest ever People's Vote marchStewart, who was born in Yorkshire, is an ardent Remainer and a founder of the People's Vote campaigning organisation.
The coaches will leave from towns and cities including Leeds, Huddersfield and York, reports Leeds Live.
They are part of a fleet of more than 170 coaches bringing protesters from all over the country for the march that will coincide with a major day of debate and voting on Boris Johnson's Brexit deal in parliament.
The Royal Shakespeare Company star said: "I'm delighted to once again be able to support the People's Vote Campaign by helping to get campaigners from Yorkshire get to the 'Together For The Final Say' march this Saturday, October 19.
You may also want to watch:
"Boris Johnson needs to hear loud and clear that he must seek the British people's consent before he inflicts his damaging Brexit on our country. Brexit is hitting jobs, businesses, our NHS and communities across the UK.
"Faced with the reality of Boris Johnson's destructive Brexit, more voters than ever before now say that the only way to solve this mess is to put the question back to the people in a referendum.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 4 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 5 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 6 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 7 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 8 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 9 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 10 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
"Whatever you think about Brexit and now that we have an idea of the true cost, the only way out of this political mess is to give the people the final say."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.