People’s March organisers expect ‘biggest demonstration on Brexit yet’
- Credit: Archant
The organisers of the People's Vote march are predicting the biggest Brexit demonstration since the EU referendum exactly two years ago.
Campaigners will be calling on the government to agree to a People's Vote on the final Brexit deal before a final decision is taken. The march will come just days after the latest showdown between the Lords and MPs over a number of amendments to Theresa May's EU Withdrawal Bill as it returns to the upper chamber this week.
Headline speakers at the event will include Gina Miller, who has been challenging the government on Brexit policy in the courts, Labour's David Lammy and the Conservative's Anna Soubry. Lib Dem leader Vince Cable and Green Party leader Caroline Lucas will also speak.
You may also want to watch:
The march will start in Pall Mall and end in Parliament Square on Saturday 23 June from 12pm.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
Sir Vince said: 'We go on this march with a simple message: Brexit is not inevitable. Negotiations have been chaotic: the prospect of a good deal for the UK more remote than ever, the promise of a safe deal for Ireland appearing emptier by the day.
'This is not the situation that anyone, be they Leaver or Remainer, voted for. And that means the people must have the final say on the deal.'
David Lammy, Labour MP for Tottenham, added: 'Across the country, not just in London, British people are deeply worried about the mess the government has made of Brexit. This is too big to ignore and too important to be left to politicians.'
• For a full list of anti-Brexit events head to The New European's events listings page.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.