The People’s Vote march: We’re off
- Credit: Archant
Tens of thousands of people are massing in London to send a defiant message to Theresa May: 'We want a second referendum.'
The People's Vote march has kicked off with large crowds organising in central London to call for a fresh referendum on Brexit negotiations.
Speaking before the march Labour's Lord Adonis said: 'Brexit's becoming a dog's dinner.
'This week's fresh chaos and confusion over Brexit negotiations has exposed how even the best deal now available will be a bad one for Britain.
'It's a mess that nobody voted for and the reason we're in such a growing crisis is that those cheerleading for Brexit know the promises they made can never be kept.
You may also want to watch:
'So this campaign is about using the people power, writing to their MP to get a People's Vote to address the wrongs of this botched Brexit process.'
Richard Angell, director of Progress – Labour's centre-left movement – and organisers of 'Labour bloc' at the People's Vote march said:
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 7 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 8 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 9 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 10 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
'Today we turn the People's Vote march red. Labour members at Labour conference wanted a People's Vote left on the table, today we take it to the streets of the capital.
'It is the job of Labour MPs to vote down a deal that does not meet their six tests, it is for Labour members to build for a general election or People's Vote. Comrades are travelling from all corners of country to make this happen. Labour should trust the people to decide.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.