The People’s Vote march: We’re off
- Credit: Archant
Tens of thousands of people are massing in London to send a defiant message to Theresa May: 'We want a second referendum.'
The People's Vote march has kicked off with large crowds organising in central London to call for a fresh referendum on Brexit negotiations.
Speaking before the march Labour's Lord Adonis said: 'Brexit's becoming a dog's dinner.
'This week's fresh chaos and confusion over Brexit negotiations has exposed how even the best deal now available will be a bad one for Britain.
'It's a mess that nobody voted for and the reason we're in such a growing crisis is that those cheerleading for Brexit know the promises they made can never be kept.
You may also want to watch:
'So this campaign is about using the people power, writing to their MP to get a People's Vote to address the wrongs of this botched Brexit process.'
Richard Angell, director of Progress – Labour's centre-left movement – and organisers of 'Labour bloc' at the People's Vote march said:
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Royal Mint to produce more Brexit coins after MPs complain they can't get them
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
- 5 Chronixx - Reggae’s rising star
- 6 The pipe dream of peace in the Middle East
- 7 Peers brand Boris Johnson's Brexit bill 'dangerous' and 'baffling'
- 8 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 9 EU expects Boris Johnson's team to return to talks 'within days'
- 10 Brexiteer Dyson to sell Singapore penthouse days after denying he'd abandoned Britain
'Today we turn the People's Vote march red. Labour members at Labour conference wanted a People's Vote left on the table, today we take it to the streets of the capital.
'It is the job of Labour MPs to vote down a deal that does not meet their six tests, it is for Labour members to build for a general election or People's Vote. Comrades are travelling from all corners of country to make this happen. Labour should trust the people to decide.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.