Petition against proroguing parliament smashes 100K target
- Credit: HM Government
Signatures on an anti-prorogation petition have been going up by the minute after the news broke that Boris Johnson plans to take drastic action to prevent parliament from sitting.
A petition on the government petitions website titled "Do not prorogue parliament" has over 250,000 signatures at time of writing, although the numbers are increasing so fast this figure is likely to date quickly. It has received nearly 100,000 signatures in the last hour alone.
The request, started in August, asks the government not to prorogue parliament without extending Article 50 or cancelling Brexit altogether.
"Parliament must not be prorogued or dissolved unless and until the Article 50 period has been sufficiently extended or the UK's intention to withdraw from the EU has been cancelled," asks Mark Johnston, who started the petition.
The request is in response to the shocking announcement that the prime minister plans to prorogue parliament, enabling him to force the UK to leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement.
READ: Government to ask Queen to suspend parliamentThe petition has easily hit the goal of 10,000 signatures, requiring a government response.
You may also want to watch:
By receiving well over the required 100,000 signatures, it has also more than doubly qualified for consideration for a debate in parliament.
This puts the prime minister in an awkward position given that he has vowed to drastically reduce the availability of parliamentary time for exactly such discussions.
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 4 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 5 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 6 Rabbits defeat French army
- 7 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.