Letters: A ‘Boris Brexit’ is completely undeliverable
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
With her Chequers agreement Theresa May is not trying to dilute Brexit: she is positively trying to deliver it.
It would help her cause mightily if she communicated more bluntly to the country that a Boris Brexit, of having your cake and eating it, was and is undeliverable whoever is running the country.
People need to be jolted from their Project Fantasy dreams and recognise the need to get real, backing the PM in her herculean efforts to produce a Brexit which might actually work.
(Former leader of Conservative MEPs)
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 2 Britons living in Spain refused Covid jab 'due to Brexit', report claims
- 3 The truth about 'buy British'
- 4 Downing Street announces plans to change English voting system following string of Labour victories
- 5 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 6 Tories could push for 2023 general election after axing key legislation
- 7 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 8 MP insists he will 'earn every penny' after becoming council leader too
- 9 How Brexit dealt a hammer blow to diplomatic relations
- 10 Boris Johnson under investigation over luxurious Caribbean holiday
It is hard to imagine the depth of self-delusion that the Brexiteers are in if they think the EU – supporting Barnier 100% as they do – will cave on the nonsense outlined in the Chequers white paper.
The German and French business community would far rather take a dent in UK trade than see any damage to the European economic powerhouse.
I know that. You know that. Anyone who has been paying attention for more than five minutes knows that. Why doesn't the cabinet?
As May sends out her creepy crawlies to try to persuade the EU that the ripped and smelly homeless man's vest is, in fact, a Vivienne Westwood basque, one can only assume that the blinkered approach of the Brexiteers – who think the EU should 'play fair' by the people who just crapped all over them – is now just willful blindness.
The summer plague of little Brexit pests being sent to the EU by May to hover about and irritate are just going to make the 27 want to slap and scratch.
• Let us know your thoughts. The New European publishes two pages of letters every week. Send an email to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.