Letters: A ‘Boris Brexit’ is completely undeliverable
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
With her Chequers agreement Theresa May is not trying to dilute Brexit: she is positively trying to deliver it.
It would help her cause mightily if she communicated more bluntly to the country that a Boris Brexit, of having your cake and eating it, was and is undeliverable whoever is running the country.
People need to be jolted from their Project Fantasy dreams and recognise the need to get real, backing the PM in her herculean efforts to produce a Brexit which might actually work.
(Former leader of Conservative MEPs)
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 2 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 3 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 4 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 5 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 8 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 9 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 10 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
It is hard to imagine the depth of self-delusion that the Brexiteers are in if they think the EU – supporting Barnier 100% as they do – will cave on the nonsense outlined in the Chequers white paper.
The German and French business community would far rather take a dent in UK trade than see any damage to the European economic powerhouse.
I know that. You know that. Anyone who has been paying attention for more than five minutes knows that. Why doesn't the cabinet?
As May sends out her creepy crawlies to try to persuade the EU that the ripped and smelly homeless man's vest is, in fact, a Vivienne Westwood basque, one can only assume that the blinkered approach of the Brexiteers – who think the EU should 'play fair' by the people who just crapped all over them – is now just willful blindness.
The summer plague of little Brexit pests being sent to the EU by May to hover about and irritate are just going to make the 27 want to slap and scratch.
• Let us know your thoughts. The New European publishes two pages of letters every week. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.