Dominic Cummings is ‘calling the shots’ over Brexit, claims senior MEP
- Credit: PA
The co-leader of the Greens in the European Parliament has told MEPs that Dominic Cummings is 'calling the shots' over Brexit in the UK.
Philippe Lamberts told reporters in Brussels that he did not believe the UK would sign up to a deal with the EU because of Dominic Cummings' influence.
The MEP, who is a member of the parliament's 12-strong UK coordination group, explained: 'To be honest, I do not think we will have a deal with the UK. This is because there is no political will on the UK side for this.'
'I recall what Boris Johnson and David Frost [the UK's chief Brexit negotiator] both said at the very start of these talks. They said that the whole point of Brexit was that EU legislation would no longer apply to the UK and nor would Britain be bound by decisions made by the European Court of Justice. For the UK that is the point of Brexit.'
You may also want to watch:
'The UK wants to sever all ties with the EU and this cannot be reconciled with what the EU wants.'
The Belgian politician continued: 'There may be some in the Tory Party who want a soft Brexit but they are not in a position to set the government line while others [like Cummings] are.'
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
'This all means that a no-deal Brexit at the end of the year is almost certain. One country will be severely affected by a no deal - Ireland - so I hope the UK will comply with its obligations regarding the province.'
Referencing Cummings' rule-breaking during the coronavirus lockdown, the politician added: 'Boris Johnson recently had the perfect chance to fire Cummings but did not do so. This shows who is calling the shots in the government and Conservative Party.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.