Dominic Cummings is ‘calling the shots’ over Brexit, claims senior MEP
- Credit: PA
The co-leader of the Greens in the European Parliament has told MEPs that Dominic Cummings is 'calling the shots' over Brexit in the UK.
Philippe Lamberts told reporters in Brussels that he did not believe the UK would sign up to a deal with the EU because of Dominic Cummings' influence.
The MEP, who is a member of the parliament's 12-strong UK coordination group, explained: 'To be honest, I do not think we will have a deal with the UK. This is because there is no political will on the UK side for this.'
'I recall what Boris Johnson and David Frost [the UK's chief Brexit negotiator] both said at the very start of these talks. They said that the whole point of Brexit was that EU legislation would no longer apply to the UK and nor would Britain be bound by decisions made by the European Court of Justice. For the UK that is the point of Brexit.'
You may also want to watch:
'The UK wants to sever all ties with the EU and this cannot be reconciled with what the EU wants.'
The Belgian politician continued: 'There may be some in the Tory Party who want a soft Brexit but they are not in a position to set the government line while others [like Cummings] are.'
- 1 Politics is moving back to a battlefield which does not suit Boris Johnson
- 2 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 3 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 4 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 5 French skippers blockade lorries carrying UK-landed fish in protest against post-Brexit fishing rules
- 6 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 7 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 8 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 9 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 10 MEPs warn Brexit deal could be cancelled if No 10 continues to ignore terms
'This all means that a no-deal Brexit at the end of the year is almost certain. One country will be severely affected by a no deal - Ireland - so I hope the UK will comply with its obligations regarding the province.'
Referencing Cummings' rule-breaking during the coronavirus lockdown, the politician added: 'Boris Johnson recently had the perfect chance to fire Cummings but did not do so. This shows who is calling the shots in the government and Conservative Party.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.