Piers Morgan says officials have been ‘lying’ over coronavirus testing numbers
- Credit: Archant
Piers Morgan has said he believes officials have been 'lying' over the number of people tested for coronavirus, after data over the figures appeared 'unavailable' for ten consecutive days.
Despite a number of pledges from government over coronavirus testing, no-one can realistically be sure of whether it is hitting its targets because figures shared by the Department of Health and Social Care appear to show the numbers of those being tested as 'unavailable', and have been for more than a week.
Good Morning Britain presenter Morgan suggested it was a sign that officials were 'lying' over the numbers of people being tested.
'They're saying they're trying to catch-up and to unify the data that they've been producing over the last few months,' explained Dr Hilary Jones.
'Yeah funny enough, let me tell you what happened. If you may remember we've been on their case for a while, for saying the number of tests conducted was X, and then it turned out the number of people tested was a lot lower.
You may also want to watch:
'Then it emerged that they are counting as a test both a nose swab and a mouth swab - two tests for one person.
'So everyone who had two swab, which is most people - my understanding is most people have had two swabs - so funny enough ever since Public Health England had to admit that, they've stopped revealing the number of people tested.
- 1 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 2 Rabbits defeat French army
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 5 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 6 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 9 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 10 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
'Which makes me think they've been lying.
'Unavailable now for ten consecutive days, the number of people tested. We've no idea as a country because our government won't tell us'.
A No 10 spokesperson last week said it was unable to explain why Department of Health testing figures had been dropped saying it was 'not something I have noticed.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.