Boris Johnson ridiculed for ‘trying to emulate Putin’ with dumbbells in latest PR stunt
- Credit: PA
Boris Johnson has been ridiculed after he hit the gym to pose for cameras in a bit to promote his new anti-obesity campaign.
Johnson launched the new policy following his own weight struggles, which he has said impacted his ability to recover from the coronavirus.
The government says it plans to ban junk food advertising before the 9pm watershed, an end to buy-one-get-free deals on fatty and sugary foods, and calorie counts on menus.
You may also want to watch:
Johnson took the time to promote the new campaign with a visit to a local gym in his constituency of South Ruislip and was shown around by staff where he was spotted shoulder pressing dumbbells and doing bicep curls in his white suit and tie.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 3 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
Photographs were used on the fronts of pro-Tory newspapers, including the Express, which accompanied it by the caption: 'Shows his mettle... Boris visits his gym in his constituency.'
But the spectacle of Johnson's attempt to look active in front of the cameras was far too much for some on Twitter.
'This is the sort of front page you'd expect from the official newspaper of a dictatorship,' tweeted leftwing commentator Owen Jones.
Sam Capps said: 'Johnson trying his hardest to emulate Putin and Kim Jong Un.'
'I see the Daily Express has found an equivalent macho image for Boris Johnson to replicate the one of a bare chested Vladimir Putin riding a horse,' posted Andy Wheately.
'It feels like we are living in a Putin meme but without our political leader having any muscles,' noted Andrew Hedges.
Joe Dunne wrote: 'If he's not like Ronnie Coleman by Christmas then he's failed the nation.'
'Boris Johnson's latest gym stunt is another reminder he definitely 'doesn't believe in gestures',' reminded Mike P Williams. 'At least when it comes to anti-racism, anyway'.
One user, commenting on Johnson light choice of gym equipment, said: 'Ffs. My 83-year-old mum could lift that pole with two steering wheels on it.'
'Pumping iron. He couldn't pump an air bed,' quipped @cynthiascott69.
Duncan Reid decided the PM's choice of sportswear would not go unscathed: 'Nothing like showing 'em how it's done ... in a white shirt and suit trousers eh. #dressedforit.'
But it was @coolforcars who came on top, suggesting Johnson should give up his gym days.
'Getting trim with 10 seconds of curls,' he observed. 'May I suggest lipo?'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.