Pressure builds on Corbyn to back People’s Vote
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A grassroots Labour campaign in support of a People's Vote on Brexit has gained widespread support from members.
On the eve of a crucial party conference in Liverpool, 35 contemporary motions were passed by members in local parties across the country urging Labour to rethink its Brexit stance.
Remian Labour have called on the party to:
• Vote against the final withdrawal agreement proposed by the government;
• Support a People's Vote and campaign to remain full members of the EU in the referendum.
You may also want to watch:
Every CLP has the opportunity to propose one contemporary motion – or rule change – for debate at party conference and the number of motions passed in support of a People's Vote now looks certain to be far greater than any other topic.
Andrew Lewin, founder of Remain Labour said: 'I am delighted that Remain Labour supporters across the country have succeeded in passing so many motions.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 5 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 6 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 7 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 8 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 9 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 10 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
'The message from the grassroots of our party is loud and clear, now is the time to change party policy, now is the time for Labour to embrace a People's Vote.
'Remain Labour is not aligned to any faction in the party. We believe that Brexit in any form will sharpen austerity and hurt most those who have least. Only by campaigning to remain in the EU can the Labour Party stand up for Labour voters and for the national interest.'
In addition to the 35 motions passed, Remain Labour supporters in three other constituency parties passed motions calling for a more Pro-EU position. This includes Holborn and St Pancras CLP, the constituency of Keir Starmer, shadow Brexit secretary.
Significantly, the motion passed by Holborn and St Pancras motion says that the withdrawal agreement will not meet Labour's six tests for supporting any deal to leave the EU.
The news comes as London mayor Sadiq Khan backed a second referendum on Brexit.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.