Government could delay controversial immigration bill because of coronavirus
- Credit: Archant
Senior Tory ministers may be plotting to withdraw Priti Patel's controversial immigration bill when parliament reconvenes next week.
The bill, which is still scheduled for a 'virtual' second reading when parliament resumes on April 21, could be scuppered because of the coronavirus.
Ministers have told POLITICO that introducing the contentious bill during the current epidemic was not 'quite right'. This is the government's first attempt at introduce legislation that would stop the freedom of movement and usher in a points-based immigration system that values earnings over some skills.
You may also want to watch:
Although the government has so far insisted a vote will go ahead, rumours are mounting that that stance might change by the end of the Easter break.
- 1 Politics is moving back to a battlefield which does not suit Boris Johnson
- 2 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 3 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 4 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 5 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 6 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 7 French skippers blockade lorries carrying UK-landed fish in protest against post-Brexit fishing rules
- 8 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 9 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 10 Keir Starmer's day will come
Under the legislation, many migrants earning below £25,600 may be barred from living in the UK unless they can prove their occupation is in high demand. Even then, they will need a job offer from an 'approved' sponsor.
But this policy approach is already showing signs of cracking under strain after it emerged the government is chaperoning six planeloads of low-skilled Eastern European workers to help British farmers. The first convoy landed at Stansted airport earlier arrived with 180 Romanian pickers on board.
Whitehall had called the new proposals a 'commitment to the British public and take back control of our borders.'
The legislation was planned to come into force January 1st, 2021 and be part of 'multi-year programme of change' led by Home Office.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.