Brexiteer blames Lib Dems - not Leave voters or Tories - for the Brexit mess
- Credit: Archant
A Question Time audience member has blamed the Lib Dems, rather than Brexiteers or Tories, for the Brexit mess.
Addressing the Lib Dem MP, the Southampton woman said his party were "hypocrites" and the mess had little to do with the Tories.
She said: "Ed Davey how you have the hypocrisy to say what you do, when it is parliament it has caused the chaos?
"It is not the Brexit voters, it is not the Conservative Party - it is people like you.
"You asked for the referendum in 2008, are you saying now, having canvassed for the referendum in 2008 on the Lisbon treaty you would have voted against your own canvassing? Would you have accepted that result?"
You may also want to watch:
As Davey explained it was "totally different" the audience member said his party were "hypocrites".
She continued to lambast the MP saying that it was down to the Lib Dems in coalition that such a vote took place.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 4 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 5 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 6 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 7 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 10 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
But Davey pointed out the Lib Dems were only a small part of the anti-Brexit coalition in parliament.
He said: "Brexit hasn't been delivered because the Conservative Party couldn't decide what Brexit meant.
"And it is the Conservative Party divided, fighting amongst themselves and the DUP, and that's the reason Brexit hasn't been delivered."
Her comments were met with eyebrow-raising from viewers who could not understand how she could let the Tories off the hook.
Remain activist Mike Galsworthy said: "'It's not the Conservative Party' that caused the chaos, according to this lady dressed like an archetypal Conservative.
"W-hat? Did you see how they fell apart over Theresa May's deal? Voting against their own deal? How Boris Johnson booted out 21 of his own and shut down Parl?"
"Nope it's the Tory Party that caused this mess - the referendum was always about trying to settle an argument in the Tory Party, sadly we've been all dragged into this civil war," Gary Zair responded.
James Murphy said: "So Tories had no part to play? Let's analyse that...
"Tories whipped up hate against the EU. Tories called for Referendum. Tories bungled the Remain campaign. Tories made secret plans for 18/24 months to get a deal. Tories did not consult parliament. Tories are bungling still."
Daniel Jones wrote: "Brexit voters absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their own mistake. Brexit is not the fault of people & parliamentarians who voted remain. The was no brexit plan, there still no brexit plan, she voted for it, that's on her."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.