Humphrys: Ireland should quit EU to join UK
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Irish ministers have dismissed a suggestion from a radio presenter that the best way to end the Brexit impasse is for an 'Irexit' which would see the country leave the EU to join the UK.
BBC Radio 4 Today presenter John Humphrys made the suggestion in an interview with Ireland's Europe minister, Helen McEntee, who said the country had no plans to quit the EU.
Humphrys said: 'There has to be an argument, doesn't there, that says instead of Dublin telling this country that we have to stay in the single market etc within the customs union, why doesn't Dublin, why doesn't the Republic of Ireland, leave the EU and throw in their lot with this country?'
McEntee pointed to polling which showed Ireland almost unanimously wanted to remain in the EU as evidence his suggestion was not plausible.
She said: 'To suggest that we should leave? 92% of Irish people last year said they wanted Ireland to remain part of the European Union and in fact since Brexit that figure has gotten only bigger.'
You may also want to watch:
Labour MP Ben Bradshaw tweeted that he was 'gobsmacked' to hear John Humphrys 'suggest to an amazingly calm Irish politician that the solution to #Brexitshambles is for Ireland to leave the EU and rejoin the U.K! Such woeful ignorance of history and of modern day Ireland.'
MEP Molly Scott Cato tweeted: 'To hear Humphrys suggest to the Irish Europe Minister that Ireland should leave the EU to help us solve our Brexit shitshow was a shameful demonstration of arrogance and showed disrespectful disregard for our mutual history.'
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 5 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 10 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
Another Twitter user wrote: 'What a stupid and insulting idea. Can't think why they'd turn down the chance of medicine shortages and a smashed economy knowing they'd be helping our WWII obsessed clowns create Empire 2.0.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.