Boris Johnson’s new-look ‘Brexit plane’ unveiled
- Credit: PA
The new paint job costing almost £1 million on the plane used by the prime minister has been unveiled.
The RAF Voyager – which was previously a military grey colour – has been resprayed in white, with a Union flag on the tailfin and United Kingdom written in gold on the fuselage.
Boris Johnson had previously complained about the military paint scheme used on the jet, calling for one that resembled a 'Brexit plane'.
You may also want to watch:
But the cost of the respray was condemned by opposition politicians when it was revealed earlier this month.
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 3 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 4 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 5 The cannabis conundrum
- 6 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 7 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 8 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 9 Rabbits defeat French army
- 10 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
Downing Street said the work would cost 'around £900,000' and would mean that the plane could better represent the UK around the world with 'national branding'.
Officials have insisted the plane would still be able to fulfil its military role as an air-to-air refuelling tanker.
At the time the price tag was revealed, the prime minister's official spokesman said: 'That incorporates the cost of creating a design that will promote the UK around the world without compromising the plane's vital military role.
'At every stage we have worked to ensure value for money for the UK taxpayer and all of the work has been undertaken in the UK, directly benefiting British suppliers.'
Johnson has previously questioned why the plane was grey, saying he would like to have a 'Brexit plane' to help him travel the world and promote the government's vision of global Britain.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.