Viral 90-second rant nails exactly how our politicians ignore Brexit reality
- Credit: BBC
A blistering 90-second polemic about how Labour, the Tories and the Brexit Party have ignored the reality of what leaving the EU means has gone viral.
Guardian columnist Rafael Behr let loose on BBC's Politics Live when presenter Jo Coburn asked him whether Labour's position on Brexit had become more clear since the party's victory at the Peterborough by-election.
Behr's answer - in the negative - has taken off on Twitter and looked at far more than the electoral moment.
"I think we need to zoom out a little bit and ask what's happened here," he said, before pointing out that in 2016 nobody, whether Remain or Leave, understood what leaving the EU would entail.
The "broadly fact-free" debate that followed the triggering of Article 50 was brought up sharp as soon as officials actually had to go and negotiate with Michel Barnier and "get schooled in the reality", he continued.
You may also want to watch:
"And now, after the sort of brush-by with reality, our European Union debate has just sort of sailed off, and now you have the Brexit Party essentially talking about the process just like it's 2016 again," he said.
And, he said, Labour are looking on and allowing the Tories to mess it up, thinking "'we can walk across the ashes and become a government'."
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 7 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 8 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 9 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 10 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
"It's basically embarrassing for every other country in the world just looking at this, and going 'that's a country that basically doesn't even beliebe in political or economic gravity any more."
The comments were made as part of a panel discussion alongside MEP Ben Habib, Labour candidate Faiza Shaheen, and the Daily Telegraph's Madeline Grant.
A clip of the video shared by blogger I Am Incorrigible on Twitter has had over 2.7 million views - a million of them accrued within 12 hours.
Re-sharing it again at the 1.5 million views mark, Buzzfeed News editor Alan White said: "I think people may feel he has a point."
Exhausted Twitter user @toobad shared it, saying: "Struggling with 'disinformation fatigue', was feeling like I was in danger of being overwhelmed in the numpty media landscape, awash with false narratives - until Rafael Behr came along. This is just so, so good."
Twitter user Lindsay Richards shared it saying simply: "Hammer. Nail. Head."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.