‘Hope is emerging’ - Readers react to the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election result
- Credit: PA
Readers give their initial reaction to the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election result - and have plenty of raise for the Remain pact.
Well done, so encouraging to see the numbers. HUGE thank you to the Remain candidates who stood down so as not to split the vote. This victory is a tribute to their belief in a new way for politics. We all need to learn from their example.
Plaid Cymru and the Greens should also be credited for agreeing not to field a candidate each, otherwise this might have been a different result. Also, look at the Labour vote. That is truly shocking as well. And UKIP is dead. Truly dead coming last... behind The Monster Raving Loony Party. I'm not a Lib Dem fan, but congratulations. A great result... but the winners are the constituents who got up and voted.
You may also want to watch:
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 6 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 7 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 8 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 9 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 10 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
This result really is mega news. After 3+ years of hatred, we now see hope emerge. Well done to all those parties involved in achieving this result. The Remain fightback has started. A majority of one now for the Brexiters. I'd love to see Grieve or Clarke stand down now.
If the Tories cannot defend an 8000+ majority in rural Wales it's worth bearing in mind that Johnson himself is only defending a 5000 majority in metropolitan Uxbridge.
Constructive ambiguity doesn't seem to be working too well for Labour.
Fantastic news! Well done Lib Dems. Just shows what can be achieved when Remain parties work as an alliance. Johnson now down to a Commons majority of just ONE (that's including the DUP). Interesting times ahead!
Shows two things. That the country does not want to leave the EU and this includes the sane Tories and the Labour party needs a new leader who is more in step with the electorate. No Brexit or a second referendum with no ifs and buts because the party will go the way the Tories are heading. I'm sure Corbyn is a great bloke and dedicated to the beliefs he holds dear but I am coming to realise he is not the kind of leader the country wants or needs.
Take away of the night... a Leave voting constituency AGAIN voted in a Remain MP.
Labour did badly but they never do well in Radnorshire. The Green and Cymru both stepped down so that Lib Dems could win and I suspect many Labour voters also did the same. This result shows little more than the Tory vote being split is a good thing.
BBC reported that the Lib Dem win might not actually be a win because more people voted for the Leave parties than voted for them. I'm becoming deeply disillusioned with the BBC.
- What do you think? Send your views for print to firstname.lastname@example.org and pick up a copy of Thursday's newspaper.