Jeremy Corbyn given ‘10 out of 10’ rating by Rebecca Long-Bailey
- Credit: Archant
Labour leadership hopeful Rebecca Long-Bailey has given Jeremy Corbyn a '10 out of 10' rating for his time at the head of the party.
Despite dismissing claims she was a "continuity candidate", and the Labour leader losing two elections, she said Corbyn had the right approach to policy-making.
Asked how she would rate his performance out of 10, the shadow business secretary told ITV News: "I thought Corbyn was one of the most honest, kind, principled politicians I've ever met".
And without hesitation she said: "I'd give him 10 out of 10, because I respect him and I supported him all the way through.
"What we can't ignore was that Jeremy was savaged from day one by the press... We have a role as party to develop the image of our leader and to put them forward in the most positive way, but we also have a duty to rebut criticism and attacks.
You may also want to watch:
"As a party we needed to have a rebuttal unit, a clear structure in place to rebut the attacks against him."
Long-Bailey received support from shadow chancellor John McDonnell today when he was asked who he was backing.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 7 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
- 10 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
"I'm supporting Becky, yeah," McDonnell said.
"I thought she was superb on the Today programme. I thought she came across as an extremely warm human being and was on top of her game, she was excellent.
"But all of them have been good. I think we've got a really good team of candidates."
- How would you rate Jeremy Corbyn's leadership? Vote in our poll.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.