Jeremy Corbyn given ‘10 out of 10’ rating by Rebecca Long-Bailey
- Credit: Archant
Labour leadership hopeful Rebecca Long-Bailey has given Jeremy Corbyn a '10 out of 10' rating for his time at the head of the party.
Despite dismissing claims she was a "continuity candidate", and the Labour leader losing two elections, she said Corbyn had the right approach to policy-making.
Asked how she would rate his performance out of 10, the shadow business secretary told ITV News: "I thought Corbyn was one of the most honest, kind, principled politicians I've ever met".
And without hesitation she said: "I'd give him 10 out of 10, because I respect him and I supported him all the way through.
"What we can't ignore was that Jeremy was savaged from day one by the press... We have a role as party to develop the image of our leader and to put them forward in the most positive way, but we also have a duty to rebut criticism and attacks.
You may also want to watch:
"As a party we needed to have a rebuttal unit, a clear structure in place to rebut the attacks against him."
Long-Bailey received support from shadow chancellor John McDonnell today when he was asked who he was backing.
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
"I'm supporting Becky, yeah," McDonnell said.
"I thought she was superb on the Today programme. I thought she came across as an extremely warm human being and was on top of her game, she was excellent.
"But all of them have been good. I think we've got a really good team of candidates."
- How would you rate Jeremy Corbyn's leadership? Vote in our poll.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.