Surge in last-minute applications to register to vote ahead of Tuesday’s deadline
- Credit: Archant
Nearly three million people have registered to vote in the past month, according to government figures.
There are less than 36 hours left until the voter registration deadline at 11.59pm on Tuesday 26th November, with 2.98 million already submitting applications between October 24th and November 24th.
The biggest spike was on November 22nd when nearly 308,000 were recorded.
More than a third of those applications (35%) have come from people under the age of 25.
A further 30% have come from people aged 25 to 34.
You may also want to watch:
By contrast just 4% have been submitted by people aged 65 and over.
An increase in applications is not direct evidence of an increase in the number of people able to vote.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 8 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 9 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 10 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
At previous elections there have been applications from people below the legal age to vote or who are already on the electoral register.
Nonetheless, the volume of applications suggests a growing interest in participating in the election.
To be able to vote on polling day, a person must be registered to vote, aged 18 or over on polling day, and also be either a UK or Irish citizen or a qualifying Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK.
Applications to register to vote can be made online at gov.uk/register-to-vote.