Surge in applications to register to vote ahead of a possible general election
- Credit: Archant
Nearly two million people have applied to register to vote in the past eight weeks, according to new government figures.
The figure is almost double the number for the previous eight weeks with, on average, a quarter of a million every week registering to vote since Boris Johnson first proposed a general election in early September.
In total, 1,966,876 applications were submitted in the eight weeks to October 27.
More than half (58%) were from people aged 34 and under, while just 7% came from those aged 65 and over.
There were big spikes in applications on September 3 and 4 (64,485 and 82,442 respectively) following Boris Johnson's announcement on September 2nd, when he insisted he did not want to hold one.
Despite this, Boris Johnson tabled a proposal to hold one, which was lost, but registrations continued to rise.
You may also want to watch:
The biggest spike so far this month was on October 24, when 44,592 applications were submitted.
If a snap general election was to take place on December 12, the deadline for applying to register to vote is likely to be November 25.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
If polling day is December 9, the deadline would be November 20.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.