Big push for people to register to vote ahead of Tuesday deadline
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has joined campaigners in urging people to register to vote before next Tuesday's deadline.
A total of 2,048,039 applications were submitted between October 29 - the day the government called for an election on December 12th - and November 19th.
The deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Tuesday November 26th, with campaigners now pushing ahead with a big drive to convince more to apply.
As part of the drive, events will be held across the country, including stalls outside universities and colleges, encouraging people to register to vote before the deadline.
Jeremy Corbyn is one of those campaigners helping with the efforts.
You may also want to watch:
He is expected to deliver a message in Stoke on the matter.
He will say: "This is the most important election for a generation.
- 1 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 2 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 5 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 8 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 9 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
- 10 Government loses bid to block financial services bill amendment in House of Lords
"To achieve real change, I'm calling on people to take just five minutes to get registered so they can make sure that their voice is heard.
"Over nine million eligible voters are still not registered to vote - that's one-sixth of the voting population.
"That's why today we are supporting National Voter Registration Day.
"We want to make the next five days the biggest voter registration drive that our country has ever seen."
- To register to vote visit gov.uk/register-to-vote
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.