Big push for people to register to vote ahead of Tuesday deadline
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has joined campaigners in urging people to register to vote before next Tuesday's deadline.
A total of 2,048,039 applications were submitted between October 29 - the day the government called for an election on December 12th - and November 19th.
The deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Tuesday November 26th, with campaigners now pushing ahead with a big drive to convince more to apply.
As part of the drive, events will be held across the country, including stalls outside universities and colleges, encouraging people to register to vote before the deadline.
Jeremy Corbyn is one of those campaigners helping with the efforts.
You may also want to watch:
He is expected to deliver a message in Stoke on the matter.
He will say: "This is the most important election for a generation.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 4 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 5 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 6 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 7 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 9 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
- 10 Nicola Sturgeon tells Boris Johnson to 'work from home' instead as he plans trip to Scotland
"To achieve real change, I'm calling on people to take just five minutes to get registered so they can make sure that their voice is heard.
"Over nine million eligible voters are still not registered to vote - that's one-sixth of the voting population.
"That's why today we are supporting National Voter Registration Day.
"We want to make the next five days the biggest voter registration drive that our country has ever seen."
- To register to vote visit gov.uk/register-to-vote