Record-breaking numbers apply to register to vote ahead of deadline
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A record-breaking number have applied to register to vote on the deadline day.
A total of 659,666 people applied to register to vote on the day of the deadline to take part in the general election.
It is the largest volume of applications submitted in a single day since registration data was first published in June 2014.
This is higher than the 622,398 on deadline day for the 2017 general election, and 485,012 on the equivalent day for the 2015 poll.
Overall some 3.85 million applications have been submitted since October 29 this year - the day that MPs voted to hold an election on December 12.
You may also want to watch:
Of that number, 37% have been submitted by people aged under 25, while 30% have come from people aged 25 to 34.
By contrast, just 4% were from people aged 65 and over.
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 What Auf Wiedersehen, Pet teaches us about Britain and Europe
- 5 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 6 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 7 The rocky road to Rejoin
- 8 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 9 Michel Barnier tells Britain Brexit red tape is here 'for good'
- 10 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
The number of applications to vote is not the same as the number of new people joining the electoral register.
They are merely applications to join the register, which have yet to be approved or rejected.
Typically, these include a lot of people who are already on the register, or who are not eligible to vote - so the number of new voters able to take part in the election on December 12 is likely to be somewhat smaller than the total applications.