Lib Dems pledge to invest ‘Remain bonus’ of £50 billion back into public services
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Liberal Democrats have said staying in the European Union will bring a £50 billion 'Remain bonus', which the party has vowed to put back into public services if they win the general election.
The party said scrapping Brexit will generate billions for public finances because they say remaining in the European Union will mean the economy will grow faster than under Brexit, and will lead to higher GDP.
Leader Jo Swinson said every vote for the Lib Dems is a vote to "stop Brexit" and "build a brighter future".
The Lib Dems forecast that the economy will be 1.9% larger in 2024-25 if Brexit is stopped than it would be under the Conservative government's Brexit deal.
They say this means government receipts will be higher too, providing a £50 billion Remain bonus over the next five years.
You may also want to watch:
The party said the £50 billion figure reflects the total extra current receipts over that period.
Swinson said the money would be spent tackling inequality and investing in public services.
- 1 Michael Gove claims Boris Johnson is a 'huge asset' to Scotland
- 2 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 3 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 4 Brussels politician says Boris Johnson should 'pay for EU workers to stay' in UK
- 5 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 6 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 8 David Cameron's wife says Brexit has made trading 'difficult' for her business
- 9 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
- 10 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
She said: "The Liberal Democrats are the only party standing up to stop Brexit and build a brighter future for the UK.
"Brexit has taken far longer and cost far more than anyone said it would. But any form of Brexit will damage our jobs, our economy and our public services, starving them of vital cash as the economy struggles along.
"The Liberal Democrats will stop Brexit and then use the £50 billion Remain bonus to invest in our public services.
"Every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to stop Brexit, build a brighter future and invest the £50 billion Remain bonus in our vital public services."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.