#ResistanceBill hashtag goes viral to combat Number 10 social media strategy
- Credit: Twitter
After Boris Johnson branded the anti-no-deal Brexit bill a 'surrender bill', Twitter users have set an alternative hashtag going.
Documents leaked from Downing Street show that Tory MPs have been ordered to brand the rebel legislation "Corbyn's surrender bill" and label it a "shameful document", according to a Buzzfeed scoop.
The label has caused uproar for framing the EU as an enemy and for giving the false notion that the bill would put the government in the position of having "to accept any terms Brussels demands".
It appeared on official Conservative Party social media feeds and has been described as "beneath contempt" in the House of Commons.
But Remainers have taken action to ensure an alternative takes hold by sharing the hashtag #ResistanceBill.
You may also want to watch:
Popular Remain Twitter user and activist SheRa Marley-Threepwood started it by tweeting the Buzzfeed report and commenting: "VERY important. They've branded it the "surrender bill". We need to get something else trending. The #ResistanceBill would work."
After two hours, the hashtag rocketed to the third most popular in the UK, being taken up by MPs, celebrities and campaign groups such as Our Future, Our Choice.
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 STAR TURNS: Bond star haunted by school tragedy
- 4 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 5 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 6 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 7 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
- 8 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
- 9 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 10 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
She told the New European that she launched it after realising how Johnson's team were attempting to seize control of the narrative.
"It is essential that we do not let Cummings and co brand this 'battle' any way they want," she said. "You need a strong coherent message from all sides of the spectrum."
The issue of the prime minister's hostile messaging has been raised in the House of Commons as MPs debate the rebel bill.
Labour MP Angela Eagle asked Keir Starmer whether he agreed that "the characterisation of Conservative central office, which even now is appearing on Twitter, in their other social media as we debate this extremely important bill, hashtagging this bill 'the surrender bill' is beneath contempt?"
"It is beneath contempt," replied Starmer. "The businesses, the people who work in businesses, and the management of businesses who will look in on horror, because they have repeatedly told me and many other members of this house their deep concerns about no deal. And we are protecting this country against no deal."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.