Brexit petition set to hit FIVE MILLION as creator says she was ‘subject to death threats’
- Credit: Archant
A petition that calls on the government to revoke Article 50 is nearing the five million signatures mark, as the petition creator says she has received death threats.
Margaret Georgiadou, 77, said she had been 'totally amazed' by the reaction to the Revoke Article 50 petition on the government's website.
But the success of the petition has come at a price for the creator. She has tweeted that she has been left 'shaking like a leaf' after the retired lecturer received 'horrible' phone calls and abuse via Facebook Messenger.
Georgiadou, a retired lecturer, has come under scrutiny by those angered by the petition who have reviewed her tweets and sent messages to her social media accounts.
She tweeted: 'In the past 10 hours have had three death threats over the phone, my fb account has been hacked and had a torrent of abuse on Facebook. Am closing my FB account.'
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'Who wants Brexit so much that they are prepared to kill for it?'
She later told the BBC: 'I feel terrible, I feel angry with myself because I thought I was tougher than that. But I was scared.'
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 8 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 9 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
'I haven't even told my husband because he is very old and he would become hysterical.'
In response to the threats, pro-EU campaigners have created a fundraiser in support of Georgiadou, who has been credited with helping to generate fresh momentum behind the campaign to stop Brexit.
The total number of signatures on her petition is expected to hit 5,000,000 today, and it is now the biggest petition on the parliament's website.
On Friday the petitions committee refuted claims from pro-Brexit newspapers and Brexiteers like Nigel Farage that a majority of signatures came from abroad.
The committee said that approximately 96% of signatures were from the United Kingdom, with the remaining 4% of names mostly coming from countries with large UK expat communities, like France, Spain, Germany and America.
Anyone who is a UK resident or a British citizen can sign the government website petitions. This includes British citizens living overseas.
• You can sign the petition on the government's petition website here.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.