Chancellor’s ‘chameleon-like’ budget folder leaves TV viewers baffled
- Credit: Archant
A red folder carried by Rishi Sunak has become an unlikely topic of conversation ahead of his first budget as chancellor.
The Tory MP, who replaced Sajid Javid just weeks ago following Boris Johnson's cabinet reshuffle, has perplexed Sky News viewers by appearing on screen with a traditional Treasury looking red folder - only for him to disappear behind a van and appear with a green one.
While a majority believe it was edited by producers to make a point - either on climate change or the coronavirus outbreak - it has not stopped social media users sharing the video hundreds of thousands of times with many questions.
'There's a glitch in the Matrix,' tweeted Jack Parkes.
'Is this like that blue-gold dress thing?' asked Ellin Stein.
You may also want to watch:
'Is he, like, a stage magician? Does he do children's parties?' enquired Steven Gibbons.
'Clearly we've underestimated Sunak,' said William Donaldson. 'He really does have magic powers.'
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 7 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 8 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 9 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 10 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
'That's just you. Are you okay?' wrote Hugo Rifkind, in reply to a tweet. 'It stays blue throughout for the rest of us.'
'Unless someone can convincingly explain why his folder suddenly changes colour, none of us will ever truly be at peace', wrote Owen Jones.
'People are saying it's edited. But the man in the green jacket doesn't alter his movements or course at all, so I don't think that's it,' speculated Simon Hemelryk.
'Same thing happened on BT Sports last night,' observed another. 'One shot clearly show a team of highly paid, talented footballers running on to the pitch then SHAZZAM! They are suddenly replaced with a bunch of half interested donkeys.'
'It's either illuminati something something bilderberg or Sky was making a joke about this being a green budget' said Jim Pickard.
'That tweet is a hate crime against people who are colour-blind BTW', added former UKIP MEP Patrick O'Flynn.
'Someone has been using their artistic licence to edit two pieces of footage,' wrote Simon Hughes, somewhat spoiling the fun.