Chancellor’s ‘chameleon-like’ budget folder leaves TV viewers baffled
- Credit: Archant
A red folder carried by Rishi Sunak has become an unlikely topic of conversation ahead of his first budget as chancellor.
The Tory MP, who replaced Sajid Javid just weeks ago following Boris Johnson's cabinet reshuffle, has perplexed Sky News viewers by appearing on screen with a traditional Treasury looking red folder - only for him to disappear behind a van and appear with a green one.
While a majority believe it was edited by producers to make a point - either on climate change or the coronavirus outbreak - it has not stopped social media users sharing the video hundreds of thousands of times with many questions.
'There's a glitch in the Matrix,' tweeted Jack Parkes.
'Is this like that blue-gold dress thing?' asked Ellin Stein.
You may also want to watch:
'Is he, like, a stage magician? Does he do children's parties?' enquired Steven Gibbons.
'Clearly we've underestimated Sunak,' said William Donaldson. 'He really does have magic powers.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
'That's just you. Are you okay?' wrote Hugo Rifkind, in reply to a tweet. 'It stays blue throughout for the rest of us.'
'Unless someone can convincingly explain why his folder suddenly changes colour, none of us will ever truly be at peace', wrote Owen Jones.
'People are saying it's edited. But the man in the green jacket doesn't alter his movements or course at all, so I don't think that's it,' speculated Simon Hemelryk.
'Same thing happened on BT Sports last night,' observed another. 'One shot clearly show a team of highly paid, talented footballers running on to the pitch then SHAZZAM! They are suddenly replaced with a bunch of half interested donkeys.'
'It's either illuminati something something bilderberg or Sky was making a joke about this being a green budget' said Jim Pickard.
'That tweet is a hate crime against people who are colour-blind BTW', added former UKIP MEP Patrick O'Flynn.
'Someone has been using their artistic licence to edit two pieces of footage,' wrote Simon Hughes, somewhat spoiling the fun.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.