Brexiteers demand new £120m Royal Yacht Britannia for Liam Fox to use
- Credit: AFP/Getty Images
Commemorative stamps, the return of the Spitfire, and a festival of Brexit Britain - now Brexiteers want to add a new Royal Yacht Britannia to their list of demands.
Tory Brexiteers have long-dreamed of Britannia returning to 'rule the waves', and having seen trade secretary Liam Fox hold a series of events on board HMS Queen Elizabeth in New York they believe he has 'effectively made the case' for its return.
According to campaigners in the Telegraph 'evidence is gathering to support the case for building a single-purpose, high profile ship to be made available permanently for such occasions.'
The total cost for a new yacht would be approximately £120 million - a figure Theresa May is also proposing to spend for her 'festival of Brexit Britain'.
A letter sent by 50 Tory MPs to ministers has set out their demands.
You may also want to watch:
It said: 'As we leave the European Union, there has never been a better time to consider how Britain projects herself on the world stage.
'We believe that now is the time to commission a new Royal Yacht Britannia as a new symbol of global Britain, designed and built domestically to showcase the best of UK shipbuilding and industry, and as a platform for promoting trade.'
- 1 QT: Brexiteer economist urged to 'check his facts' following rant about EU fisheries policy
- 2 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 3 Boris Johnson faces 'wipeout' in 'Red Wall' seats at next general election, new polling suggests
- 4 Fish merchant claims he was 'brainwashed' into voting Brexit
- 5 Jacob Rees-Mogg shuts down debate on Eton welcoming girls saying it 'works very well' without them
- 6 Johnson's destruction of the UK's global standing
- 7 A paper-thin Brexit deal isn’t befitting of Great Britain
- 8 Brexiteer begins swearing after discovering extent of trade between GB and NI
- 9 Michel Barnier cancels Brexit briefing with EU envoys due to 'ongoing intensive negotiations'
- 10 ALASTAIR CAMPBELL: Keir has let the Tories get inside his head
Last month the disgraced former defence secretary Fox announced he intended to tour the world in a restored Spitfire, scheduled to start next May, as part of his 'Exporting Is GREAT' campaign.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.