Trump is ‘bang out of order’ on climate change: Sadiq Khan
- Credit: Archant
Adding fuel to his ongoing feud with Trump, London's mayor Sadiq Khan has slammed the US president's environmental record saying 'you can't build a wall around the consequences of climate change'.
He said that the special relationship means being able to speak with "honesty and candour", and that mutual expectations are higher.
"It means we should be able to ... say to them 'listen, you've got it wrong on this'."
Continuing to address Trump in the interview, he said: "Of course we will always stand shoulder to shoulder with you in times of adversity, we're going to carry on being close allies, but listen: you're bang out of order here, you're wrong.
"The science shows that you're wrong, and you've got to stop governing in self interest because we're all going to suffer.
You may also want to watch:
"You can't build a wall around the consequences of climate change, not matter what the current president may think about the use of walls and their benefits."
The remarks, made in an interview with Greenpeace's investigative outlet Unearthed, come after Khan compared Trump to a "20th-century fascist".
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 4 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 5 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 6 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 7 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 8 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 9 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 10 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
Donald Trump has previously called climate change a "Chinese hoax".
Theresa May has been urged to raise the issue with him Trump after 250 academics wrote to her stating that Trump is "undermining" global efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Trump has feuded with Khan repeatedly over the mayor's response to the London Bridge attack in 2017, and City Hall's approval of the 'Trump Blimp' to be brought to anti-Trump protests.
Just before landing in the UK, Trump tweeted that Khan "has done a terrible job as Mayor of London, has been foolishly 'nasty' to the visiting President of the United States", and calling him a "stone cold loser".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.