James Corden skewers Boris Johnson in SNL skit about Trump Nato gossip
- Credit: SNL
James Corden has delivered a pitch-perfect performance as Boris Johnson attempting to join in with 'cool kids' Macron and Trudeau at Nato.
Following the humiliating footage of world leaders gossiping about Donald Trump at the Nato conference in London, US comic sketch show Saturday Night Live transports the whole scene to a high school cafeteria.
While globally Trump became the brunt of the joke when the footage emerged, SNL's eagle-eyed writers were also quick to spot the comic potential of Johnson attempting to ingratiate himself with Europe's 'cool kids'.
Justin Trudeau is played by Jimmy Fallon, Emmanuel Macron is played by Paul Rudd, and Alec Baldwin reprises his classic take on Trump in this scene in which Corden's Johnson has latched himself onto the European leaders in the cafeteria.
Firstly, Johnson tells a less popular world leader not to sit with them, saying: "Why don't you Brexit out of here, dweeb,"
You may also want to watch:
"Oh em gee, was that supposed to be a joke, Boris?" asks Trudeau. "You're being so crude right now."
"Yeah, I know I know, it was dumb of me, I'm sorry," said Johnson.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 3 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 4 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 5 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 6 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 7 Pret a Manger founder against lockdown because it will only 'save a few thousand lives'
- 8 Viktor Orban has eyes on a Brexit opportunity
- 9 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
- 10 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
"You're always sorry. You've just got to try and keep up. That's what it's like to hang with the cool guys."
Then Trudeau and Macron begin gossiping about Trump's 45-minute press conference. "Did you see him speak for 45 minutes the other day? It was just supposed to be for a photo," says Macron.
"Well if I looked like him I'd try to distract the photographer too," said Trudeau, prompting Johnson to overenthusiastically try to join in by saying: "Yeah. He's not good looking like us three" - which caused quite the side-eye. Later, the three tell Trump he can't sit with them, but Johnson is still the butt of the jokes.
"Look at the state of him," says Trudeau. "He's like, dumber than Boris," - at which Johnson laughs too hard.
Later, Kate McKinnon playing a nerdy Angela Merkel joins the scene.
Watch the whole skit to get a full sense of the impression that Boris Johnson is leaving on the USA.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.