Change UK candidate stands down over fears of splitting the Remain vote
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Change UK's lead candidate in Scotland for the EU elections has ended his campaign in order not to split the Remain vote, and has urged support for the Liberal Democrats.
David Macdonald, an independent councillor from East Renfrewshire, said that after a lot of reflection, he has "come to the point where I have realised I must do what is best for the future of this country before anything else".
He stated: "If things continue as they are the Remain vote will split in Scotland and put at risk the representation that supporters of remaining in the European Union so collectively desire."
For that reason, he said, he has decided to end his candidacy "effective immediately".
"I am now calling for those in favour of remaining in the European Union, including all supporters of Change UK in Scotland, to do what is best for our collective voice in Europe and to support the Scottish Liberal Democrats in the upcoming European election, to better ensure that they gain representation to secure a seat in these European elections."
You may also want to watch:
The decision comes amid calls for greater unity between Remain-leaning parties in upcoming elections.
READ: Heidi Allen quizzed about Remain unityA recent bid to field a joint candidate between Change UK, the Liberal Democrats and the Greens in the Peterborough by-election fell apart.
The candidate, campaigner Femi Oluwole, cited his inexperience as his rationale for dropping out at the eleventh hour, while on BBC's Question Time Change UK MP Anna Soubry claimed it was due to pressure from the Labour Party.
- 1 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 2 Where the fires of Brexit still burn fiercest
- 3 Be careful what you wish for... voting reform could kill Labour
- 4 Boris Johnson's awkward moment with the Queen
- 5 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 6 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 7 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 8 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 9 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 10 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
Independent candidate Steve Bray, also known as "Mr Stop Brexit" for his photobombing stunts in front of news cameras, stepped down in April over fears of splitting the Remain vote.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.