SDLP tables Brexit amendment reserving right for Northern Ireland to rejoin EU
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The leader of the SDLP has tabled a series of amendments to protect Northern Ireland against Boris Johnson's Withdrawal Agreement Bill.
SDLP leader Colum Eastwood wants to give Stormont a say on any post-Brexit trade deals taking place once the bill is passed.
Eastwood said the 13 amendments proposed would seek to protect the Good Friday Agreement and would establish a mitigation package that would provide assistance to those affected by Brexit.
It would also reserve "the ultimate right for Northern Ireland to remain or re-enter the European Union. People here must have the opportunity to reject a path that offers nothing but economic self harm and damages the progress we've made over twenty years."
He said: "Brexit is the most significant economic, constitutional and social challenge facing people on these islands. In December's election, people in Northern Ireland made their will clear again - we are not prepared to suffer economic ruin, the wholesale sell-off of our Health Service and declining food and environmental standards.
You may also want to watch:
"Our people must not be trapped into a future we never voted for. It is right that we now have the power to shape our own path and protect our own interests."
The SDLP will be looking for cross-party support for the proposals from other MPs in the House of Commons.
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 7 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 8 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 9 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 10 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.