Minister claims government will ignore MPs’ wishes if they vote for second referendum
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A minister has claimed the government will ignore any vote for a second referendum if it pushes ahead with plans for a confirmatory vote on Saturday.
MPs are hoping to revive the Kyle amendment to attach to a confirmatory vote on any Brexit deal Boris Johnson brings back from Brussels to allow the public to decide the best option for Britain's future.
But according to the i, a senior minister has claimed: "It would not have any legal standing if it went through."
They said: "Zealots who are pushing for a second referendum are not interested in defending democracy. They are seeking to overturn it."
Downing Street has also refused to say whether it would honour any vote for a second referendum if it received the support of MPs in the House of Commons.
You may also want to watch:
There are fears that the government could effectively veto a second referendum by refusing to allocate the funds required to hold another vote.
Johnson said earlier this week: "If there could be one thing more divisive, more toxic than the first referendum, it would be a second referendum. Let's get Brexit done."
Campaigners are set to march for a People's Vote on Saturday, at what is expected to be the largest rally yet.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 4 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 5 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 6 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 7 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 8 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 9 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 10 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.