Tory Brexiteer MP involved in ‘misunderstanding’ at party conference
- Credit: Archant
A senior Tory MP reportedly clashed with a delegate at the Conservative Party conference prompting a lockdown of part of the venue.
Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown was said to be involved in what a doorman described as a "small misunderstanding" at the International Lounge in the conference centre.
It led to a lockdown of areas of the conference, including the press room, at the Manchester Central Convention Complex for around 20 minutes.
The Cotswolds MP did not deny the reports, and told PA news agency: "I've got nothing further to say about it. I don't want to comment on it, really."
Police said an attendee - reportedly Clifton-Brown's wife - tried to enter the lounge alongside the MP without the relevant pass, leading security staff to intervene.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a small misunderstanding," a staff member guarding the door of the lounge said.
Greater Manchester Police said in statement: "At around 1.45pm on Tuesday 1 October 2019, an attendee to the Conservative Party Conference attempted to enter the International Lounge area of the conference without the relevant pass.
- 1 EU drops vote to ratify Brexit deal after Boris Johnson 'violates' agreement
- 2 Government plans £30bn cut in NHS day-to-day spending from April
- 3 Sunlit Uplands: As shellfish war rages, the net closes around George Eustice
- 4 My very undiplomatic comments about Boris Johnson
- 5 Commons speaker lashes out at Rishi Sunak for 'dashing off' to Budget press conference
- 6 Boris Johnson: Liar of the land
- 7 Former Home Office boss settles tribunal claim against Priti Patel with 'substantial' payout
- 8 Police to investigate 'sinister graffiti' in Belfast mentioning Michael Gove
- 9 Tory MP suggests most Britons are 'economically illiterate' for supporting chancellor
- 10 Welsh first minister says UK 'is over' in blistering attacks on No 10's handling of devolution
"Security staff intervened and resolved the situation without any breach of security occurring."
The "misunderstanding" led to a lockdown of some areas, including the press room, at the Manchester Central Convention Centre for around 20 minutes.
A party spokesman said after that Clifton-Brown had been sent home.
They said: "The incident was totally unacceptable. Geoffrey has been asked to leave conference and we are establishing all of the facts to see if further action is necessary. We will always adopt a zero tolerance approach to any inappropriate behaviour towards our hardworking staff."
It comes as Boris Johnson spent the day disputing the suggestion his party had become too aggressive in its political stance, and moments before home secretary Priti Patel was due to speak on the Tories plans to get tougher on crime.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.