Coronavirus outbreak confirmed at NHS test and trace centre
- Credit: PA
A coronavirus outbreak has been confirmed at an NHS Test and Trace call centre.
Measures have been brought in by NHS Lanarkshire to try to suppress the outbreak, which flared up at the Sitel site in Motherwell.
NHS Test and Trace is a service operated by the NHS in England to track and help prevent the spread of Covid-19 south of the border.
NHS Lanarkshire said it had been notified about 'potentially linked cases' of Covid-19 infections in the area on Sunday.
An NHS Test and Trace spokeswoman said: 'We are aware of a local outbreak of Covid-19 at the Sitel site in Motherwell. This is being managed by Sitel and colleagues in NHS Lanarkshire, who are following appropriate test and protect action in line with Scottish Government advice.
You may also want to watch:
'We take the safety and wellbeing of our staff very seriously. Everyone at the site is currently working from home while a deep clean takes place, and will be offered a test within the next 24 hours.'
Dr David Cromie, NHS Lanarkshire consultant in public health medicine, said: 'We became aware this morning of a number of potentially linked cases of coronavirus in Lanarkshire.
- 1 Brexit stripped me of my Britishness
- 2 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 3 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 4 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 5 Boris Johnson enjoys splendid isolation
- 6 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 7 The Tories have already lost the culture wars
- 8 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 It's now clear what sovereignty means
'We instigated some immediate measures to reduce risk and are currently investigating the situation.'
The news came as Scotland recorded 23 new confirmed cases of coronavirus - the highest increase in almost a month.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.