Coronavirus outbreak confirmed at NHS test and trace centre
- Credit: PA
A coronavirus outbreak has been confirmed at an NHS Test and Trace call centre.
Measures have been brought in by NHS Lanarkshire to try to suppress the outbreak, which flared up at the Sitel site in Motherwell.
NHS Test and Trace is a service operated by the NHS in England to track and help prevent the spread of Covid-19 south of the border.
NHS Lanarkshire said it had been notified about 'potentially linked cases' of Covid-19 infections in the area on Sunday.
An NHS Test and Trace spokeswoman said: 'We are aware of a local outbreak of Covid-19 at the Sitel site in Motherwell. This is being managed by Sitel and colleagues in NHS Lanarkshire, who are following appropriate test and protect action in line with Scottish Government advice.
You may also want to watch:
'We take the safety and wellbeing of our staff very seriously. Everyone at the site is currently working from home while a deep clean takes place, and will be offered a test within the next 24 hours.'
Dr David Cromie, NHS Lanarkshire consultant in public health medicine, said: 'We became aware this morning of a number of potentially linked cases of coronavirus in Lanarkshire.
- 1 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 2 Why is devout Jacob Rees-Mogg so quiet about Boris Johnson's affairs?
- 3 Dominic Cummings' new venture could cause concern for No 10
- 4 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
- 5 Government deletes pro-Scottish independence blog post
- 6 The symbolism behind the reopening of pubs
- 7 Roman Kemp: Depression and coping with George Michael's death
- 8 Why are there so few BAME faces on the fronts of our newspapers?
- 9 David Cameron and Matt Hancock discussed NHS scheme over 'private drink'
- 10 PM chooses not to attend Prince Philip’s funeral because of guest limits
'We instigated some immediate measures to reduce risk and are currently investigating the situation.'
The news came as Scotland recorded 23 new confirmed cases of coronavirus - the highest increase in almost a month.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.