This mum perfectly summed up the case for a second Brexit referendum in 45 seconds
- Credit: Archant
A mother taking part in the People's Vote march has perfectly summed up the case for a second referendum in less than 45 seconds.
Appearing on Sky News with her child, Rachel was asked if it was right to have another vote because the Remain side "had lost".
The reporter claimed that the Remain side wanted to keep having a vote until it got what it wanted.
But the defiant mother, shook her head, and asked: "Can I put to you that we never have a general election? Should we have left what happened in 2017 on the door? Should never play another World Cup? Seriously? That is no argument whatsoever."
She continued: "Democracy is an on-going process, it is not a one-off event. It happens and it continues to happen. And when we know more, we should be asked again."
You may also want to watch:
Referring to the last referendum which was mirred with controversy, she added: "We cannot have a referendum based on lies, binding in the way this one is supposedly being viewed as, we have to go back to the people, we know more now.
"People should want to vote when they know the issues, they should not want to vote when they have been lied to and they should not want that vote respected. It does not deserve respect."
- 1 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 4 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 5 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 6 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 7 NHS boss admits UK faces Covid vaccine shortage
- 8 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 9 Tories abstain on motion to protect post-Brexit workers' rights
- 10 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
The clip has been praised and widely shared on social media.
"Absolutely brilliant demolition of the arguments against a confirmatory referendum from Rachel in Parliament Square," tweeted @DougieMacM.
"Not all heroes wear capes," wrote David Lammy.
Another said: "The best argument for a second independence referendum yet. Democracy is an ongoing process."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.