SNP call for statue in honour of Michael Gove for boosting Scottish independence
- Credit: Archant
The SNP has jokingly called for a statue in honour of Michael Gove for his contribution to boosting support for Scottish independence.
SNP Cabinet Office spokesperson Pete Wishart told MPs in the Commons that the Brexiteer minister has helped increase 'majority support' for Scotland breaking away from the United Kingdom.
He said: 'Can I start by thanking (Gove) because he, more than any other senior Tory, has made the single biggest contribution to the cause of independence in Scotland.
'And it's been his supreme efforts around Brexit that has pushed support for Scottish independence to sustained majority support.
'For all of us that support an independent Scotland, we salute him today and the statue will soon be commissioned in Aberdeen Harbour.'
You may also want to watch:
To laughter from MPs sitting in the chamber, Gove responded that he did not believe he deserved a statue.
He explained: 'Can I first of all congratulate him on wishing to erect statues rather than pull them down. I would be delighted to be carved in marble bronze, or whatever is the appropriate material anywhere in Scotland, but I have to say I don't deserve it.'
- 1 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 2 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 3 Tory anger as Labour to hold vote on establishing committee to investigate cronyism
- 4 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 5 Tory government 'doesn't think it has to be abide by rules', says former civil servant
- 6 Tory MPs vote down proposal for parliamentary inquiry into Greensill scandal
- 7 David Cameron 'only sorry he got caught', MPs told
- 8 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 9 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 10 Nick Clegg says EU 'let itself and millions of Europeans' down over Covid vaccine programme
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.