Stella Creasy left banging head on desk during Brexit debate with Tory MP
- Credit: Archant
Labour MP Stella Creasy was left in despair during a Brexit debate with Tory MP Nadhim Zahawi, demonstrating her frustration by banging her head on the desk.
The Walthamstow MP appeared on the BBC's Politics Live alongside the minister for children and families.
She pleaded with Zahawi to 'just make it stop' as he once again tried to justify the prime minister's position on the withdrawal agreement.
Zahawi tried to argue that there was support in the House of the Commons for her deal because parliament had supported a motion on extending Article 50.
'The motion that parliament passed that my colleageus voted for said that if the withdrawal agreement passes you will have a short extension or a longer one.'
You may also want to watch:
Creasy banged her head on the desk before explaining that she was 'embarrassed' by his position and the situation the House of Commons had been left in.
She said: 'I just want to apologise to the British people, listening to this, and the word play...
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 5 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 8 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
'I'm embarrassed that this is what our politics has come to - people just think we are all useless.
'It is a mess because there isn't a majority in parliament for any particular outcome.'
Zahawi responded: 'Stella you can do as much as you like but if you want to deny the people Brexit then good luck to you.'
One commentator on Twitter said: 'Nadhim Zahawi just can't seem to answer any question he's asked. He's on full Maybot mode. Stella Creasy banged her head on behalf of the nation.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.