‘Brexit is headed for the exit’ - US TV audience cheers People’s Vote marchers
- Credit: Archant
An audience of an American television show have cheered the United Kingdom's revolt against Brexit.
Stephen Colbert was bringing his CBS audience up-to-speed with the latest on the UK's departure from the EU as he referred to the momentous week in the attempts to stop Brexit.
Starting the segment, the American host asked: 'Have you been following Brexit as much as I don't? It has been a brutal process for the British prime minister.'
And in a boost for the Revoke Article 50 petition, which the government is trying to ignore at present, he mentioned the magnitude of support for it.
To cheers, he said: 'And now the whole thing could get overturned because a petition to scrap Brexit altogether has gone over a record-breaking five million signatures.'
You may also want to watch:
He then turned his attention to the march for a People's Vote, showing aerial footage of the protesters in central London.
'And on Saturday over a million people protested to reverse the Brexit vote.'
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 6 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 9 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 10 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
As the audience whooped and cheered, Colbert took off his glasses and looked down the camera, declaring that 'it looks like Brexit is headed for the exit.'