‘May has mastered the art of lying with a grain of truth’ - Stephen Fry criticises PM
- Credit: BBC/BAFTA/Whizz Kidd Entertainme
National treasure Stephen Fry has hit out at Brexiteers like Iain Duncan-Smith and Nigel Farage, and criticised Theresa May's twisting of facts to suit her politics.
The comments were made in a newly-released three minute video from the comedian, actor and writer.
Fry uses the video to takes debunk those politicians that have falsely tried to use polling to help their arguments.
Fry factchecks claims from the Brexiteers that 'WTO exit is by far the most popular option' and that 'the majority are happy to go out without a withdrawal agreement'.
Mocking Iain Duncan-Smith, the actor jokes that 'they may as well have said the majority are happy to go out without a wonderful allurement.'
You may also want to watch:
In the video, Fry points out that rather than supporting the pro-Brexit argument, they support the Remain cause and the push for a People's Vote.
He then quotes former Brexit secretary David Davis, who said: 'If a democracy can't change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.'
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Fry goes on to pull apart Theresa May's claims about the 'will of the people' and her recent speech that claims she was 'on your side'.
He points out that a majority of Leavers reject her Brexit deal, and said that the prime minister has 'mastered the art of lying with a grain of truth'.
The video has been produced as part of a series on politics by Pindex - which was launched as a 'Pinterest for education'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.