Bannon: Boris is my choice to be next prime minister
- Credit: Getty Images
Former White House chief strategist and alt-right figure Steve Bannon has claimed that Nigel Farage has more influence than Theresa May with President Trump and that he considers Boris Johnson a 'role model'.
Bannon, who was once a key player in Donald Trump's cabinet, said that Theresa May is "not terribly sophisticated" and had ignored the president's advice on Brexit.
"She came over - Trump sat there and said 'Listen - number one - overshoot the target on your deal because it will come apart.
"'Number two get on with it - you ought to be on terms agreed within six months, and number three use every arrow in your quiver even if you have to do litigation later'.
"She laughed it off - to be brutally frank about it she's not terribly sophisticated. I don't think she understood the complexities she was going into."
You may also want to watch:
Bannon instead insisted that Nigel Farage had more influence regarding Brexit than the British prime minister.
He also believes that Boris Johnson "would make a good prime minister."
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 5 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 9 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 10 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
"I think Boris Johnson is a guy with big ideas. I think he's the new recreated Boris Johnson who's lost 30 pounds - he's got a new haircut, he's a role model - the way he's lost so much weight... very inspiring."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.