Anti-Brexit campaigner interrupts Boris Johnson speech with cries of ‘Stop Boris!’
- Credit: PA
Anti-Brexit campaigner Steve Bray made his feelings known during Boris Johnson's leadership speech as he interrupted his speech.
The campaigner, known for literally being behind the news, regularly shouts "stop Brexit!" and "revoke Article 50" from Parliament Square.
Fresh from attending Rory Stewart's campaign launch, Bray was present for Johnson's launch, but this time was not allowed in.
Instead from outside he shouted "stop Boris!" and "bollocks to Boris!" as his speech got underway.
Each cry could be heard audibly from inside the room and was picked up on the live television coverage, briefly throwing the Tory MP off his speech.
You may also want to watch:
It began as Boris told the room: "After three years and two missed deadlines, we must leave the EU on October 31.
"We cannot ignore the morass at Westminster where parties have entered a yellow box junction, unable to move forward or back, while around the country there is a mood of disillusion, even despair, at our ability to get things done.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 7 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 8 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
"The longer it goes on, the worst the risk that there will be serious contamination and loss of confidence, because the people of this country deserve the best from their leader."
His shouts were commented on by viewers inside the venue on Twitter.
The Independent's Tom Peck tweeted: "Through the windows, at great volume and at great length, is the repeated noise of the Stop Brexit man shouting 'BOLLOCKS TO BORIS.' It has taken the wind out of Johnson's sails. It is extremely amusing."
The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said: "Mr Stop Brexit is outside shouting Bollocks to Boris and can be heard in the room."
Liz Bates from the Yorkshire Post wrote: "The Bollocks to Brexit man (I assume) is shouting Bollocks to Boris (I think) and other muffled things outside Johnson's leadership launch. It's quite loud and distracting but he's carrying on regardless."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.