Mr Stop Brexit Guy to run for the Liberal Democrats in the general election
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Steve Bray, the anti-Brexit man literally behind many news broadcasts, has been selected as a general election candidate for the Liberal Democrats in Wales.
Bray has become famous for appearing in the background of rolling news programmes from outside parliament holding placards opposing Brexit and shouting "stop Brexit".
He has been announced as the Cynon Valley candidate after being selected by the local party - and has been given the full support of Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson.
She told the PA news agency: "Our candidates are chosen by local and national parties, so the constituency will have chosen Steve as a candidate.
"He is a Liberal Democrat member and he is a passionate campaigner.
You may also want to watch:
"He has been well-known within the Remain cause more widely and I am sure he will bring that energy to the campaign here in Wales."
Asked whether he could be considered a 'joke' candidate after capturing the attention of the likes of Piers Morgan on live television, Swinson said: "I would respectfully say that I disagree and he is somebody who is true to his values and cares very deeply.
"I think we do want to have our politicians care about the issues that they are addressing. I think Steve is an example of somebody who very clearly does just that."
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 STAR TURNS: Bond star haunted by school tragedy
- 4 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 5 Former Labour MP tells Jeremy Corbyn to retire after being suspended from party
- 6 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
- 7 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
- 8 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 9 Poll puts Labour on highest level of support since 2014
- 10 Donald Trump supporters duped into thanking 'Satan' for backing president's re-election campaign
Bray, 50, has gained the nickname "Mr Stop Brexit" for his antics outside the Commons on College Green.
Earlier this year he announced he was running as an independent candidate in the European elections - but subsequently dropped out of race to avoid splitting the vote.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.