Steve Bray to stand in the European elections
- Credit: Archant
Steve Bray, the man who has literally been the face behind the news over the last 18 months, has announced he will be standing for the European elections.
Bray, who is referred to as the 'Stop Brexit Guy' started campaigning against Brexit outside Westminster in September 2017.
He is known for his anti-Brexit signs, shouting 'stop Brexit' and 'revoke Article 50' along with his European flag attire and blue and yellow hat.
Bray has attracted the attention of Brexiteers like Piers Morgan, who used his own megaphone to argue with the campaigner, as well as Damian Green, who was so angered by the campaigner he called him a 'massive w*nker'.
He will stand as an independent candidate in the London region if the elections take place next month.
He told the Mirror: 'I cannot stand for a party. Our protest at SODEM (Stand of Defiance European Movement) has succeeded because we have always drawn cross party support and refused to toe any party line.
You may also want to watch:
'This is so much bigger than any political party. It really is time to put country before party.'
He added: 'I hope that pro-EU Conservative, pro-EU Labour, Green, Lib Dem, Change UK and WEP supporters will break away from narrow party allegiances and vote for what they know is best for London and the UK, which is to remain in the EU.'
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 9 Dido Harding is struggling to defend the indefensible
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.