Support for People's Vote on Brexit from migrant worker's union
A union which represents migrant and gig economy workers is backing calls for a People's Vote on Brexit.
The Independent Workers' Union of Great Britain (IWGB) said it wanted to protect employment rights introduced under EU law such as holiday pay and discrimination protection.
The union said migrant workers had benefited from free movement of people and would be among those affected by any "economic shock" from leaving the EU.
?BREAKING NEWS?: IWGB joins call for #PeoplesVote on #Brexit. For worker rights, for free movement and to protect our jobs we need a #PeoplesVote. Full statement?https://t.co/PrIRovfRP0 Check out our video? pic.twitter.com/Oy4kJL80b2
-- IWGB (@IWGBunion) November 27, 2018
IWGB President Henry Chango Lopez said: "As migrant and precarious workers we have had to fight tooth and nail to win even the most basic rights and dignity at work.
"Losing EU employment law protections would mean we lose a vital weapon in our arsenal against exploitative bosses.
You may also want to watch:
"That's why we need a people's vote.
"To stop a Brexit that will most likely be a carnival for profiteering companies and a curse for UK workers, not least, those at the bottom of the pile."
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 STAR TURNS: Bond star haunted by school tragedy
- 4 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 5 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 6 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 7 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
- 8 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 9 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 10 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.