Support for People's Vote on Brexit from migrant worker's union
A union which represents migrant and gig economy workers is backing calls for a People's Vote on Brexit.
The Independent Workers' Union of Great Britain (IWGB) said it wanted to protect employment rights introduced under EU law such as holiday pay and discrimination protection.
The union said migrant workers had benefited from free movement of people and would be among those affected by any "economic shock" from leaving the EU.
?BREAKING NEWS?: IWGB joins call for #PeoplesVote on #Brexit. For worker rights, for free movement and to protect our jobs we need a #PeoplesVote. Full statement?https://t.co/PrIRovfRP0 Check out our video? pic.twitter.com/Oy4kJL80b2
-- IWGB (@IWGBunion) November 27, 2018
IWGB President Henry Chango Lopez said: "As migrant and precarious workers we have had to fight tooth and nail to win even the most basic rights and dignity at work.
"Losing EU employment law protections would mean we lose a vital weapon in our arsenal against exploitative bosses.
You may also want to watch:
"That's why we need a people's vote.
"To stop a Brexit that will most likely be a carnival for profiteering companies and a curse for UK workers, not least, those at the bottom of the pile."
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 5 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 6 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 7 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 8 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 9 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 10 How will you vote in the upcoming elections?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.