Surge in number of Brits seeking to reclaim German citizenship after Brexit
The number of Brits seeking to reclaim their German citizenship has leaped following the Brexit vote, it has been revealed.
A German government response to opposition politicians published today says 1,667 people applied to Germany's embassy in London last year to reclaim the citizenship they or their ancestors were stripped of by the Nazis.
The government's reply to the liberal Free Democratic Party query notes that the embassy recorded 684 such requests the previous year, most of them following the Brexit referendum in June 2016.
Tens of thousands of Germans, many of them Jewish, fled to Britain after the Nazis took power in 1933.
The figures, which do not include Britons without previous ties to Germany applying for citizenship, were first reported by Germany's Funke media group.
You may also want to watch:
Liberal Democrat MP Tom Brake, a champion of the anti-Brexit campaign group Best for Britain, said: "It says something about the unforeseen consequences of Brexit that it has prompted Brits stripped of their German nationality by the Nazis to reapply for German citizenship.
"Brexit is turning into a national disaster, so the sooner people are given a final say on the deal and the chance to exit from Brexit the better."
- 1 Brexit stripped me of my Britishness
- 2 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 3 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 4 Boris Johnson enjoys splendid isolation
- 5 The Tories have already lost the culture wars
- 6 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 7 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 8 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 9 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 10 It's now clear what sovereignty means
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.