Jo Swinson pledges Lib Dems will stop Brexit ‘wrecking the UK’ at campaign launch
- Credit: PA
Jo Swinson has said her party will stop Brexit and 'build a brighter future' as she set out her plan to become the next prime minister.
The leader of the Liberal Democrats said she will "never stop fighting" for the United Kingdom, declaring: "I will not let people wreck it
"Our country needs us to be more ambitious right now. And we are rising to that challenge," she told supporters and the media.
Her campaign is based on the belief that 'change is possible' and credited her party's values as the reason MPS have defected from other parties to hers.
Swinson said she never thought she would be standing as a candidate for prime minister but said she is "absolutely certain" she would do a better job than Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.
You may also want to watch:
She hit out at Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, claiming the prime minister is 'modelling himself' on Donald Trump and Corbyn "will not give you a straight answer" on Brexit.
"We, Liberal Democrats, will stop Brexit," she promised.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 7 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 8 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 9 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 10 The Fuhrer's fake news - one of history's greatest hoaxes
There has been wide approval for Swinson's claim that staying in the EU would produce a £50 billion "remain bonus" which could be spent on public services.
"Any type of Brexit will damage our economy, will cost jobs and starve our public services of the resources that they need," Swinson added.
"So we know that that Remain bonus will be £50 billion that we can spend on our public services, investing in our schools and in the welfare system to help the poorest in our society.
"So every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to stop Brexit and invest that £50 billion in our public services."
The party said scrapping Brexit will generate billions for public finances because remaining in the EU will mean the economy will grow faster than under Brexit, and will lead to higher GDP.
Laying out her stall, Ms Swinson said: "Vote Liberal Democrat to stop Brexit and build a brighter future."
She said the election could be a moment of "seismic change" where a "new and different" politics could emerge.
"Change is possible and you get to choose," she told the audience.